Online Edexcel A-Level English Literature Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I study the course? Online.
Where can I study from? UK or International.
How long is the course? 1 or 2 years.
Are there entry requirements? English GCSE or equivalent.
What certificate do I get? Pearson Edexcel A-Level English Literature
What can I do with the qualification? Study degree qualifications or higher level Diplomas.
What level is the course? Equivalent to Level 3 Diplomas, USA Advanced Placement Program, Matriculation Certificate.
Are exams included? No, you have to book these separately.
When can I enrol? At any time.
Your online Edexcel A-Level English Literature course will come with full tutor support for the length of your studies. You will have access through an online learning portal to all materials and information that you need to study and learn in preparation for your examinations.
Although designed as a course to cover 2 years of study, you do have the option as a distance learning student to complete the course and sit the examinations in a year or less should you prefer.
Examinations for Edexcel A-Level English Literature are held every year in the June examination period. If you need more help or advice regarding studying this course, contact one of our helpful team for more assistance.
Edexcel A-Level English Literature Syllabus
This course will cover the following areas of study:
- Independently reading a wide range of set texts and others you have selected for yourself
- Engaging and responding to these texts in a critical and creative way
- Build your knowledge of literary analysis and evaluation and practice them yourself
- Explore the interpretations of others to texts they are reading
- Independently study in a sustained way to develop a deep appreciation of English Literature and how it impacts tradition
Units of study:
Unit 1: Drama
William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
William Shakespeare, Shakespeare: A Critical Anthology – Comedy (Order this from your exam centre when you register)
Unit 2: Prose
Mary Shelly, Frankenstein
Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid’s Tale
Unit 3: Poetry
S. Eliot, Selected Poems (Faber, 2009) ISBN 9780571247059 (This is the 80th Anniversary Edition in an attractive hardcover.)
William Sieghart, ed., Poems of the Decade: An Anthology of the Forward Books of Poetry 2002–2011 (Faber and Faber, 2015) ISBN 978-0571325405
Unit 4: Coursework
Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Angela Carter, The Bloody chamber
- Edexcel A-Level examinations can be carried out in the UK or Internationally.
- Examination period is in the June examination period.
- Edexcel A-Level English Literature course code: 9ET0
- Course includes a Non-Examinable Element (NEA).