How do I study the course? Online.
Where can I study from? UK or International.
How long is the course? 1 or 2 years.
Are there entry requirements? No.
What certificate do I get? Cambridge International A-Level Biology
What can I do with the qualification? Study degree qualifications or higher level Diplomas.
What level is the course? Equivalent to Level 3 Diplomas, USA Advanced Placement Program, Matriculation Certificate.
Are exams included? No, Open College are an independent learning provider only. You will have to book these with a Cambridge International exam centre.
When can I enrol? At any time.
Your online Cambridge International A-Level Biology course will come with full tutor support for the length of your studies. You will have access through an online learning portal to all materials and information that you need to study and learn in preparation for your examinations.
Although designed as a course to cover 2 years of study, you do have the option as a distance learning student to complete the course and sit the examinations in a year or less should you prefer.
Examinations for Cambridge International A-Level Biology are held every year in the June and November examination period. If you need more help or advice regarding studying this course, contact one of our helpful team for more assistance.
Cambridge International A-Level Biology Syllabus
This course will cover the following areas of study:
- Cells as the units of life – A cell is the basic unit of life and all organisms are composed of one or more cells. There are two fundamental types of cell: prokaryotic and eukaryotic.
- Biochemical processes – Cells are dynamic: biochemistry and molecular biology help to explain how and why cells function as they do.
- DNA, the molecule of heredity – Cells contain the molecule of heredity, DNA. Heredity is based on the inheritance of genes.
- Natural selection – Natural selection is the major mechanism to explain the theory of evolution.
- Organisms in their environment – All organisms interact with their biotic and abiotic environment.
- Observation and experiment – The different fields of biology are intertwined and cannot be studied in isolation: observation andenquiry, experimentation and fieldwork are fundamental to biology.
- Cambridge International A-Level examinations are available both in the UK and Internationally.
- Examination period is available in June and November examination period.
- Cambridge International A-Level Biology course code: 9700
- Examination for the A-Level will need to be carried out at a registered Cambridge International examination centre.