How do I study the course? Online.
Where can I study from? UK.
How long is the course? 1 or 2 years.
Are there entry requirements? No.
What certificate do I get? AQA A-Level Biology
What can I do with the qualification? Study degree qualifications or higher level Diplomas.
What level is the course? Equivalent to Level 3 Diplomas, USA Advanced Placement Program, Matriculation Certificate.
Are exams included? No, you have to book these separately.
When can I enrol? At any time.
Your online AQA A-Level Biology course will come with full tutor support for the length of your studies. You will have access through an online learning portal to all materials and information that you need to study and learn in preparation for your examinations.
Although designed as a course to cover 2 years of study, you do have the option as a distance learning student to complete the course and sit the examinations in a year or less should you prefer.
Examinations for AQA A-Level Biology are held every year in the June examination period. If you need more help or advice regarding studying this course, contact one of our helpful team for more assistance.
AQA A-Level Biology Syllabus
This course will cover the following units of study:
Topic 1: Biological molecules
Topic 2: Cells
Topic 3: Organisms exchange substances with their environment
Topic 4: Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
Topic 5: Energy transfers in and between organisms
Topic 6: Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
Topic 7: Genetic populations, evolution and ecosystems
Topic 8: The control of gene expressions
All topics 1 – 8 shown above
This course also covers a Practical Assessment factor:
You’re A-Level is based on your written examinations. However, in order to receive it you must undergo a separate endorsement of 12 key practical skills:
- Use appropriate apparatus to record a range of quantitative measurements (to include mass, time, volume, temperature, length and pH).
- Use appropriate instrumentation to record quantitative measurements, such as colorimeter or polotemeter.
- Use laboratory glassware apparatus for a variety of experimental techniques to include serial dilutions.
- Use of a light microscope at high power and low power, including use of graticule.
- Produce scientific drawing from observation with annotations.
- Use qualitative reagents to identify biological molecules.
- Seperate biological compounds using thin layer/paper chromatography or electrophoresis.
- Safely and ethically use organisms to measure plant or animal responses/ physiological functions.
- Use microbial aseptic techniques, including the use of agar plates and broth..
- Safely use instruments for dissection of an animal organ, or plant organ.
- Use sampling techniques in fieldwork.
- Use ICT such as computer modelling, or data logger to collect data, or use software to process data.
- AQA A-Level examinations can only be carried out in the UK.
- Examination period is in the June examination period.
- AQA A-Level Biology course code: 7402